Parents of Blind Children Division
Parents, teachers, and friends of blind/visually impaired children:
Louisiana Parents of Blind Children (LPOBC) is forming a statewide network
for sharing information, resources, and support, and we need YOU!
The Louisiana Parents of Blind Children (LPOBC) is a statewide group of individuals dedicated to the education and advancement of children with visual impairments - whether blind, partially sighted, or having multiple disabilities including visual impairment. We are a division of the National Federation of the Blind, the largest organization of the blind in the country.
The purpose of the organization is:
- To create a climate of opportunity for blind/visually impaired children in home and society.
- To provide information and support to parents and teachers of blind/visually impaired children.
- To facilitate the sharing of experience and concerns among parents and teachers of blind/visually impaired children.
- To develop and expand resources available to parents and teachers of blind/visually impaired children.
- To help parents and teachers of blind/visually impaired children gain understanding and perspective through partnership and contact with blind/visually impaired adults.
- To function as an integral part of the National Federation of the Blind in its ongoing effort to eliminate discrimination and prejudice against the blind/visually impaired and to achieve for the blind/visually impaired security, equality, and opportunity.
The Louisiana Chapter works together with the Louisiana Center for the Blind, the National Federation of the Blind of Louisiana affiliate, and the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children to provide yearly seminars focusing on education of our blind/visually impaired children; to provide contact with other families of blind/visually impaired children; to provide contact with blind/visually impaired adults to serve as positive role models; to serve as a source of information to help families gain understanding and perspective; and to promote the use of the white cane and braille.
If you have not filled out an LPOBC membership form, please do so now. You can download the word file, complete it, and mail it to Laura Bostick, LPOBC President, at 101 South Trenton St, Ruston, LA 71270. Or, you can complete the form at the bottom of this page and join at once.
Families and professionals are welcome to join LPOBC, and no one will be turned away if they are unable to pay the $5 annual membership fee. We just want to get your correct contact information so that we can keep you updated. We keep in touch with our members through this website, through our Facebook page, and through periodic e-mails to our member distribution. If you would prefer to be contacted by mail, please let us know. You may may your annual membership fee on online or mail in a check.
Members will be added to the LPOBC distribution list; they will receive Future Reflections magazine free of charge; and, they will receive free information packets, upon request.
Please contact Alison Tarver or any board member (listed below) or call the Louisiana Center for the Blind at 1-800-234-4166 for additional information.
· Alison Tarver firstname.lastname@example.org or 318.730.2535 (cell)
· Mindy Lavern email@example.com or 337.277.5302 (cell)
· Krystal Guillory firstname.lastname@example.org or 318.245.8955 (cell)
· April Gremillion email@example.com
· Lindsay Loftin Sanderlin firstname.lastname@example.org or 318.669.0760 (cell)
· Laura Bostick email@example.com